From:
Mark Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:14:20 +0100
Posted on behalf of a colleague:

The Society of Archivists Annual Conference, MANCHESTER, United Kingdom
1st -  3rd September 2010

CALL FOR PAPERS

“We are what we keep: challenging tradition in appraisal and acquisition”

The Conference Programme Sub-committee is pleased to announce a call for
papers for the 2010 Conference. There will be two tracks for the
conference, an Archives & Records Management track, and a Preservation &
Conservation track. Following suggestions at this year’s Bristol
conference, the broad theme of appraisal and acquisition has been chosen
to frame our discussions in Manchester. We hope that this theme offers
speakers and delegates a chance to open up debate in the core activities
of appraisal and acquisition. We welcome papers on the following, linked
to this overarching theme:

•	National & international perspectives on archival theory and
practice
•	Challenges and opportunities of managing and collecting digital
records
•	Challenges of record-keeping and managing archival institutions
•	Changing users of archives and perception by users
•	Meeting the needs of users and stake-holders
•	Archival outreach, advocacy and public awareness
•	New trends and innovations in preservation and conservation of
collections in all formats and the impact of these on appraisal and
acquisition
•	Appraisal and acquisition in institutions outside the public
sector
•	Records and archives: evidence, accountability, justice, culture
and power?
•	The inter-relationship of archives and records management
•	 The relevance of traditional records management approaches in
electronic and post-custodial environments
Advice on proposals

The Programme Sub-committee welcomes contributions and ideas for
conference sessions from both individuals and groups for single speaker
or group speaker sessions in a variety of formats including traditional
sessions, focused debates on specific topics, panel discussions,
roundtables and practical demonstrations.
Proposals that encourage debate and comments from delegates will be
particularly welcomed. The programme is able to accommodate sessions
lasting 30 mins, 45 mins, or 1 hour (group speaker sessions can then be
subdivided into sessions of 10, 20 mins etc). The Programme
Sub-committee offers the following advice to help those wishing to
submit proposals.

·        Try to connect your proposal to the theme of the conference as
best you can. The theme is designed for speakers to bring topics to
light that touch on contemporary issues
·        Try and be creative with your papers! How will your paper
stimulate debate?
·        Please provide as full information as you can about your
proposal – this helps the Committee in making choices about papers and
scheduling of sessions
·        Try to be relevant and representative: consider looking at a
topic from opposing viewpoints, or focus on the broader picture rather
than institutionally specific ones
·        If you are considering making a group submission for a session,
try to mix speakers from different backgrounds and institutions, or try
to include a user or customer perspective
·        We can build in time for questions and discussion from
delegates, but please bear this in mind when planning the time of your
proposed session

Submitting your proposal

Submission of your proposal in electronic format is encouraged.
Proposals in the format described below, and with short biographies of
speaker(s) should be submitted to:

Conservation & Preservation Track:
Mark Allen
Programme Sub-committee, SoA Conference 2010
c/o The Flintshire Record Office
The Old Rectory, Hawarden
Flintshire
CH5 3NR

Archives & Records Management Track:
Justin Cavernelis-Frost
Programme Sub-committee, SoA Conference 2010
c/o The Rothschild Archive
New Court
St Swithin’s Lane
London EC4P 4DU
justin.cavernelis-frost@roths
child.com

The deadline for submission of proposals is:  20th November 2009
Submissions will be considered by the Programme Sub-committee in
December, and invitations to speak will be confirmed by the Committee in
January 2010. Your proposal should include the following:

Name of proposer or speaker
(or lead contact for group proposals)
Institution (if applicable)
Contact details
      Address
      Telephone
      Email
      Fax
Submission title
(or working title)
Brief statement of link to main theme
Session description
(brief description, max 250 words)
Session type (e.g. traditional, panel discussion)
Length of proposed session
Special equipment needed
(AV equipment etc)
Any other information
For further information, or if your have any further questions, please
contact Justin Cavernelis-Frost or Mark Allen. We look forward to seeing
you in Manchester next year as a speaker or as a delegate!

Justin Cavernelis-Frost
Chair, Conference Organising Committee

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC015096