From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:53:49 -0400
I too encountered the same dilemma Julie wrote about. In that company, I
also found that they had difficulty accessing documents in heavily nested
folder structures. Integrity of the folder/tree structure is good down to
about 10 levels. A few of the people there had folders nested 15-25 levels
down, with pretty much each document having its own folder. Folder names
were very long, document names were also long (usually almost the same as
its folder name) plus the heavy nesting created a perfect storm of what
appeared to be lost files at first. The instigators then went to other
places like thumb drives to re-create and re-save their work only to
compound the problem. With  support from IT we found that one should never
go more than 10 levels down in a folder tree structure and that Windows
can only handle a certain number of characters from root directory down to
the document in the most nested folder. I can't remember the actual
character count. Our solution was to map a drive to start part way down
the tree to access the records and relocate them to a better location.

Stephen Cohen, Records Manager
MetLife \ Legal Affairs
1095 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY  10036-6796
212-578-2373

"Julie Fleming" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Records Management Program" <[log in to unmask]>
10/13/2009 08:23 PM
Please respond to
"Records Management Program" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: electronic file naming conventions?

There may be another area to consider when developing your naming
conventions, and that is the length of the file name.  When you add all
the codes and department names to the file name, along with the various
levels of the hierarchy, you may run into issues with file names being
too long for the applications to handle them.  I ran up against this
issue once when developing a taxonomy and our document management
system began giving us error messages because Microsoft Word could not
handle the length of the file name.  Just a thought to add to the
mix....

Julie Ann Fleming, CRM

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.