From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:36:35 -0700
I agree, this is a pretty good intro to cloud computing. However, while I agree with the overall thrust of the comments including Larry's, I will only add that this doesn't strike me as *that* different from physical records outsourcing. Instead of to a cloud it's to a warehouse, but otherwise...?

<snip type="translated">
And this is the bottom line of the outsourced storage, however you define it and whatever form of outsourcing you are involved in, there is risk... and someone has to make the determination, based on the value of the information and the benefits of the service and SLAs, do the benefits outweigh the risks?

If the image of Frank is your organization's Information Assets... do you want to be able to get to it from anywhere? Do you want yourself (or others) being able to send to to others to see how cute it is?  Do you want it stored in Paris or India (or at least the scanning and/or indexing of it)?  Do you want it stored in a "physical warehouse" with everyone's Frank?
</snip>

I know there are some of you on the list who never seem to appreciate these translations, so let me be perfectly clear. I am not disparaging outsourcing, merely making the point that outsourcing = outsourcing = outsourcing. Whether it's physical or electronic, public cloud storage (which is what the article discusses) or private (and see http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139016/CIA_endorses_cloud_computing_but_only_internally and here:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139413/_IT_shops_rally_around_private_clouds), due diligence is required.

In other words, if you store your data with Joe's Cloud Storage and Bait Shop because it's cheap or you saw it on the cover of a trade publication, you get what you deserve. If you store it with one of the main cloud providers and do reasonable due diligence, odds are pretty good that you'll have a good experience and may enjoy some reduced costs and IT support time as well. Your mileage will vary to significant degree upon that due diligence effort.

Respectfully submitted on behalf of myself and no other company, organization, association, entity, or board of directors,

Jesse Wilkins, CRM
(303) 574-0749 direct
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins