From:
Laura Steinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 16:44:45 -0800
Sorry, I just had to comment on this one...
I don't live in a perfect work environment where my musings on records management become headline subjects at the CEO's dinner table, but I've had some excellent former bosses who've shown me the way to get into the middle of the fights between IT and legal when it comes to preserving/managing the company's information, and at least get listened to.   These women were feisty and headstrong.  They allied with at least one strong member of each team (IT, legal)and learned the lingo.  They then picked their "opponent" (the manager looking for new software and making the most noise about how RIM was a waste of time), bought them lunch, got into their heads, and then worked as their ally (and sometimes interpreter) to help make their paper-based and software purchases head and shoulders above the rest when it came to giving their people information at their fingertips.  They really believed in creating a team of users, IT, legal and RIM.  After a few go-arounds like this, they became known as the "go-to" people who really helped get things done smoothly.

I guess what my point is is that we can't be mice!  If we want to make a difference and we care enough about the companies who employ us, then we have to strategize; we have to speak up!  We have to be aware of the corporate climate around us and position ourselves to make a difference. It does take a lot of work - and sometimes a few face-plants - but it can be done.  If I didn't enjoy this type of challenge, I'd still be pulling staples out of old invoices and running them through my planetary camera all day.

My 2 cents....
Laura Steinberg
San Diego, CA

This message contains information which may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Unless you are the addressee, or authorized to receive e-mail for the addressee, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or any information contained in this message or any attachment. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, delete the message and any attachments, and destroy all hard copies of same. Thank you.