From:
"King, Douglas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2009 12:36:10 -0600
I was glad to hear that Judy Tyler was safe and sound. As a fellow government RIM worker, I have no problem expanding the scope of the list conversation to include the health and safety of colleagues, whether the emergency is shooter, flood, fire or any other.

I also am professionally interested in shooter incidents and response. Recently, all County managers, supervisors and designated floor safety coordinators had to go through "Active Shooter" training, so that we are prepared to cooperate with any SWAT response to shooter/hostage situations and act to protect the public, employees and ourselves. It was serious and sobering. Part of the follow through is to evaluate our own options for fight back, escape or shelter-in-place -- we are moving to replace our large sliding window and counter with something that offers less risk. The potential for and planning for such situations is taken much more seriously here and across the country now than it was earlier.

// Douglas K. King, Records Mgr / Freedom of Info Offcr, MA, ERM-M
\\  www.sedgwickcounty.org   "Sedgwick County ... working for you"