From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:04:58 -0500

>(I guess the speaker assumes the audience
>is illiterate or blind or both).  A Good powerpoint should have no more than
>3 bullet points for each slide, graphics should be used to enhance the slide
>or convey information that can't be said in words.. This allows the speaker
>to explain verbally what is going on.

I can understand Peter's point here but I don't always follow this 'rule'
about what makes a good slide.  There are instances, especially when you
give the presentation as a handout prior to a session, where slides that
tell the whole story you want to get into EVERY attendee's hands make sense.
This allows them to take notes of the other information you give in context
to what was presented visually.

I do agree that a presenter shouldn't read from the slides, but rather
provide more insight and valuable content to the audience that links the
information on the slides together and tells 'the rest of the story'.  The
more technical the topic, the more information and resources you should
provide.  One thing I've taken to doing is add a references/resources slide
at the end with URLs, citations and links to further information in the body
of the presentation.

Not sure how many people here were in Orlando and went to any of the
"workshop" sessions, but I SURE WISH the people presenting THESE would have
done things in this way.  I walked out of a few of them due to a complete
lack of valuable information and an inability to link what was stated as the
objective to the content delivered.  In the ones I left, the presenters were
introducing a topic, dancing around it, then asking for examples from the
audience, or breaking attendees into workgroups to make it a self-service
learning experience.  When I spend this kind of money for an educational
event, I expect to be educated by someone who is considered an SME on a
topic, not to provide the content myself.

Larry