From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2009 15:18:54 -0500

>While I agree that the RIM profession needs advocacy to continue to
>stress the value we can bring to organizations, I would dearly love to
>see our advocates taking a broader view of ways to address the more
>fundamental challenges that result in this type of recurring situation.
>How can information management concepts be incorporated into ALL
>curricula, so that doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. have better control
>over the data they create?
>
>I'd love to see a high school module that introduces students to basic
>information management concepts, including the protection of personal
>data, their medical and tax records, etc.  Imagine students like that
>entering college and asking RIM-related questions of their professors!

Not picking on Pilar or her post, but this was the one in the thread that
had some of the most interesting content in my mind.

The question/issue of advocacy for the profession comes up regularly here,
and sadly, it seems to repetitively fall on deaf ears when it comes to who
the intended audience is... and you know who you are... so in this instance,
you shall remain nameless.

What it always seems to come down to is these people feel it's UP TO US to
be our OWN BEST ADVOCATES, and while I fully agree that within our
organizations and in our local communities it IS UP TO US to do this, when
it comes to a broader audience, this role should be filled by a body of
individuals selected to serve in that capacity by those who pay dues and
expect representation.

Instead of preaching to the choir, the leadership (small "l" intentional)
should be speaking to the audiences mentioned throughout this thread-  and
advocating on our behalf.

The comment about High School exposure to the subject is a good one, and
there are ways to make this happen, like on career days.  They're ALWAYS
looking for speakers on topics, and I routinely make them.  Trying to make
it engaging is tough, I've spoken about medical records, college
applications, family history (genealogy) research, vital statistics, sports
records, politics, etc/

Thanks to texting, social networking sites, etc it's gotten a lot easier.  I
start collecting info about students a week ahead and will ask questions
like "How many of you know X? Did you know that X is now in a relationship
with Y? Would you like to go to a movie this weekend? Z is looking for
people to join them.  I see R is applying to go to college at XYZ and Q was
turned down by ABC"

This is simple research done through records placed on the Internet by these
individuals themselves, and it's leaving a digital footprint that can be
searched through for a LONG time! I explain to them don't put anything out
there you don't want others to find... and ESPECIALLY don't share exact and
accurate information like credit card numbers, phone and address
information, your REAL age, SSNs, etc... and NEVER give out bank info about
yourself OR your parents, no matter HOW mad you may be with them.

So whose job is is?  Don't hold your breath waiting for others to do it...
it took more than 12 years to see Competencies be developed and then until
someone can find a way to make money off of them, nothing happens... the
next revenue source is accepted practices... so maybe it's the advocacy de
jour, but it's not getting mainstream fast enough and if it's not making
money, well... who knows whats next.

Be your OWN advocate, advocate locally where it does YOU the best, because
no one sings YOUR OWN PRAISES as well as you do.  If you keep sitting around
waiting for someone else to do it, it's NOT going to happen.  If you join up
and try to make changes from the inside, it doesn't seem to help much
either... I know that from personal experience.  Countless hours of
volunteering locally, regionally, nationally and internationally tell me the
time would have been better spent on my own cause and on my own behalf.

Speak as a Professional on behalf of the work YOU DO in YOUR Profession, you
don't need to do this through an organization....especially if no one knows
who the organization is.

Larry