From:
Brian Tuemmler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:22:52 -0600
Joe,

I have quite a bit of experience with Kazeon (and StoredIQ) and have a cursory introduction to Digital Reef. We use them to clean up shared drives, categorize, and migrate content to ECM/RM systems.

Pluses:
- They address eDiscovery, storage management and RM - which related to another discussion we have had recently about RM being at the table with IT and Legal, is a big bonus.
- Being able to combine system data (file formats, dates, locations) with content (keywords, numbers, phrases) can really help defining RM categories
- It helps to know what you have, in terms of content, before you can plan what to do with it.

Minuses:
- They, like any content system, require thought and planning to best make use of them.  You can't get any system to categorize files into RM categories if you don't know what your categories are. Companies tend to use only small portion of their capabilities.
- Kazeon - owned by EMC - has significant resources behind it
- Digital Reef, unlike Kazeon or StoredIQ can find near-duplicates, as well as OCR image files to include them in the process

To proceed, I would try to figure out what your overall requirements are. Things like:
- What sources am I going to crawl through or migrate content to?
- How fast do I need it and what volume do I have?
- Are Legal, IT and the business going to be using the system as well for their purposes?
- Are the benefits in reduced litigation culling, increased user productivity, decreased storage costs?

Let me know if I can be of more assistance.

Brian Tuemmler
Gimmal Group
925-253-5689 (office)
925-640-9724 (cell)