From:
"Julie J. Colgan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:03:00 -0500
Interestingly, I think Bill being named as the Member who asked that
question was the only time the candidates were given a name on the call
yesterday.  All other questions were phrased as "from a Member".  I think
that was simply a mistake and a result of this particular delivery method
being brand new to everyone involved.  If Bill's identity had not been
exposed, perhaps this thread wouldn't have come up at all?

In general I can't and won't argue with Gordy about our professional
obligation, CRM or not, to avoid conflicts of interest as well as make
careful considerations about even the appearance of a conflict before we
take any actions; however sometimes stuff happens inadvertently and/or
individuals come to conclusions that were simply not at the heart of the
original intent.  Who hasn't had an email "mis-read"?  No harm, no foul.
We're all human.  Gordy and Bill both have shown they are men of honor and
integrity - something I new well before this string.

Clearly, "stacking the deck" would be improper, however I don't think that
occurred yesterday or at the in-person Forum in Orlando.  Bill asked a
valid, and timely, question and while Galina - considering her individual
expertise is heavy on the IT side - was certainly well prepared to answer
the question, it was my impression that both Judy and Komal held their own
quite well.

As candidates for President Elect, I would expect, as would all ARMA
Members I imagine, that each of them should have sufficient knowledge about
Cloud Computing - what it is, isn't, pros, cons, and have an opinion on what
role would be appropriate for ARMA to take as the world grapples with it.

 As for whether or not the candidates *should* have been given the names of
the folks who asked the questions, or not, is something for the Election
Management Task Force to decide for future events.  I think the EMTF should
consider Gordy's point about conflicts of interest when making that
decision, however seems to me it would be near impossible to avoid exposing
individual identities at the physical Forum unless we hand out masks to
everyone as they enter the room!  :)
Julie

Julie J. Colgan, CRM

http://twitter.com/juliecolgan