From:
Pat Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:16:01 -0500
If you haven't tried one - I highly recommended them!

Having been a SONY e-reader user for several years, I can attest to the
advantages: great to take several books along with you on a trip (I never
run out of reading material) - fewer bookcases in the house and boxes in the
attic!

In addition, I can transfer the books back and forth to my computer or
external drive for safekeeping, and I can read them on my computer if I
prefer.

Two disadvantages of the SONY over the Kindle (which we got one of our sons
for Christmas last year): 1) less variety in types of material I can
purchase (he subscribes to newspapers) and 2) I must download to my computer
first. The content is sent directly to the Kindle without having to use the
computer as an intermediary.

I still purchase hard cover books to refer to over the long-term, but it is
terrific for those mindless mysteries that keep me entertained in airports.
These are the books I'd donate to the local library or give to a friend, so
reuse is probably the biggest drawback for society in general.

Pat

________________________________
Patricia C. Franks, Ph.D., CRM
San Jose State University
http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/mara/index.htm

<snip>
Forrester Research estimates 900,000 e-readers will sell in the U.S.
in November and December.

Barnes & Noble announced its Nook e-reader in October, but you won't be able
to see it in stores until Dec. 7.  But e-reader buyers may be sinking cash
into a technology that could become obsolete. While the shiny
glass-and-metal reading gadgets offer some whiz-bang features like
wirelessly downloading thousands of books, many also restrict the
book-reading experience in ways that trusty paperbacks haven't, such as
limiting lending to a friend. E-reader technology is changing fast, and
manufacturers are aiming to address the devices' drawbacks.
<snip>