From:
Pat Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 08:42:36 -0500
Thanks for that clarification, Carol. I had wondered why we were turned
down.

Of course, there are two issues here. Being considered a "profession" and
"being listed in the OOC."

A profession would have a recognized body of knowledge, research, and
education programs in place.

Being listed in the OOC doesn't mean the title represents a profession - but
that it is recognition as an occupational title. For example, "file clerk."
Perhaps many more have this title because it is an official civil service
title used by the federal and state governments?

Did the report back to ARMA state the minimum number of employees needed for
inclusion in the OOC who practice the profession of records manager and have
the title? Just curious. The idea of being included was exciting and it
seemed you were almost there with your efforts. Sorry it didn't work out.

Pat

>>I spear-headed the work to get "records manager" listed as a profession by
the U.S. Federal government for more than a decade. The reason we did not
get listed has nothing to do with journals--peer-reviewed or otherwise, but
bodies. We cannot point to a very large group of people, and 10,000 does not
qualify as a very large group of people in the eyes of the U.S. government,
who not only practice the profession of records manager, but have the title
of records manager.>>