From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2009 13:44:38 -0500
Hi Brad......

There is a cost to do business and store records.   If a cost analysis
study was performed showing current costs to store records externally
compared to storing in house, I would hazard to guess that it is much
cheaper to store externally.  Of course if you own many buildings that are
just sitting without use, it might be best to have an internal long term
storage facility.  Of course you would have to staff it, buy shelving,
arrange for security, and pay for the utilities for the building, etc.

Take a look at your retention schedule.  Are there areas which are not
governed by statutes and the company given retention seems longer than it
should be?  At one time, many of our record series were considered
permanent (whatever that means) and we reviewed the value of the record
long term and realized that 25 years would more than suffice.  As a
result, many of the records came forward to be destroyed and our offsite
storage costs were reduced.

Of course for long term preservation, you might consider scanning the
information or storing on microfiche.  The cost to do this might be less
than long term storage costs.

So fight the battles you can win and show the organization that you can
save them money.  This is all part of marketing your RIM program and
showing the value of it to your organization.

John Annunziello, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"

"Furlow, Brad" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
12/07/2009 01:10 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Pulling & Storing of Records

Based on what I have heard from meetings & various comments, they are just
having a problem understanding why we should pay so much for storing
anything.

Something I think is going to be an eternal battle for me in my current
position.

Thanks,

Brad Furlow
Records Manager