From:
Pat Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:35:00 -0500
Hi Jesse and all,

<snip>do the scholarly journals have an exclusive right to the articles?
what if you and the others were to submit to ARMA once they were published
in a scholarly journal? Or is that not allowed?
</snip>

You are so right - we could decide. One model that I favor is writing
specifically for publication to one journal without the right to duplicate
elsewhere (or why pay for the subscription when you can get it for free just
by waiting?), but allowing the author to repurpose the data for additional
publications after the initial article one comes out (the author owns the
data - the publication owns this one article based on the data).

<<That said, as noted above many of these articles are quite long and might
therefore not be suitable for e.g. IMM. I just turned in my final paper on
classification of email as records and the average article length of the
references I cited was about 12 pages, with several over 40 pages and two
(masters thesis and doctoral dissertation) well over 100. Double-spaced, but
still. >>

Good point - many articles based on research include a literature review,
thesis statement(s), description of methodology, and finally the
result/recommendation. While we wouldn't want to reproduce a thesis or
dissertation, the length of these articles would be different from the IMJ -
perhaps 3,000 to 8,000 words each, where the IMJ requires 1,500 to 2,500
words for an article.

Pat