From:
Pat Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 15:39:24 -0500
Thank you to all of you who spoke up for or against the peer-reviewed
journal. Luciana and I have both been contacted off line by supporters and
volunteers.

Those of you who don't think it will work or that it is not necessary to
have a scholarly journal have an easy job - you can relax and see if we can
prove the opposite.

Those of you who think it is a good idea and would like to help, please
contact me off the listserv. Luciana and I are going to work on this right
after the holidays. Some of the more serious research may have to wait for
the new term when students will be available to assist and provide input.

With end of the term grades due soon and 4 children each (and their
families) coming for the holidays, we are looking forward to relaxing and
recharging our batteries.

But - our plan is to work on the following after the holidays:

.         Gather information about other professional journals (sponsor,
pricing, length of articles, intellectual property agreements, etc.)

.         Develop a survey to determine interest, ability to pay, interest
in submitting articles, willingness to serve as reviewers, etc.

.         Gather additional financial information related to cost of
publishing (digital only to start) and possibility of obtaining funds for
the startup.

.         Build a business case based on the information gathered.

.         Present the Business Case to ARMA because we respect their
leadership and work on behalf of the profession and want to give the
professional organization right of first refusal.

.         Proceed from there to develop a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal
that will offer benefits to academics and practitioners alike.

How we're going to do all of the above is not clear yet, so right now we'd
like 'off the list' email from volunteers willing to assist with any of the
above or with constructive suggestions to help us proceed.

Luciana and I will get back to this topic on the list when we have something
new to contribute.

Pat

Patricia C. Franks, Ph.D., CRM

MARA Program Coordinator