From:
Brent Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:21:30 -0500
From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Peter Kurilecz
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SharePoint vs. Shared Drive Strategy

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Brent Reid <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Peter,

"UNLESS specifically addressed in a law or
regulation."

This is the point that prompted me to first question the practice.
All of the Retention schedules that I have worked with referenced laws or
regulations that required that Working Papers be kept, because often times
the information that leads to a decision is found in the Working Papers and
not in the Final Records. -> Part of the reason for SARBOX.

IMNSHO, working papers are drafts that should be kept, as they reflect how
and why decisions were made - which can affect the outcome of litigation
should the Records be involved in such.

Peter - you and I will likely disagree on this one, but I feel as though
there should be a more concrete set of rules for Records Management.
Otherwise, each organization will interpret the rules differently, and there
will be more left for the courts to decide when there are conflicting
interpretations. There is enough work out there for the courts and lawyers
as it is. Part of our job as Records Managers should be to reduce the gray
areas in order to help our organizations reduce costs while remaining in
compliance with the laws and regulations that are thrust upon us.

Business requirements are another issue - each organization should determine
on their own what is needed. But that is only part of our job.

</soapbox>

IMNSHO working papers are drafts and other materials used to
reach a decision.

Remember there are no hard and fast rules in records management. Each
organization will determine what is best for them based upon their analysis
of the laws, regulations and their business requirements