From:
Brian Tuemmler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:18:58 -0600
Lee,

I met you briefly after my speech at ARMA in Orlando.  I spoke on cleaning up the shared drive "dumping ground."  What I did not spend time talking about was the use of SharePoint as an alternative.  Here are a few thoughts:

- I don't think anyone should or will ever do-away with shares completely, since people still need a place to keep databases, software, backups, and other things that can't be managed in a content repository.  SharePoint comes with 84 files extensions that are blocked from being imported - so they have already made some of that decision for you.
- SharePoint, by itself, runs a great risk in an organization of becoming another dumping ground, since it is so easy to set up without corporate or IT governance.  With careful planning and in some cases a robust RM application like Documentum managing the RM component of a Sharepoint installation, content can be managed.
- The corporate records managers I run into that are in companies made up of other merged companies, or just large multi-departmental companies, tend to have multiplatform solutions for that reason.  Someone in the department will generally manage the repository.  The more systems there are, however, the more RMers and the Legal department have to know technically in order to do their jobs.  It makes sense to consolidate or integrate strategically - it is hard culturally.

Happy holidays,

Brian Tuemmler
Gimmal Group
925-253-5689 (office)