From:
"Alfaro, Vladimir" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2010 11:13:45 -0500
All,

Happy New Year to All!!

We just recently settled a lawsuit 100% - after a decade it is now officially over! The Stipulation of Discontinuance has been filed with the Court and the Global Settlement Agreement and Mutual Release agreement has now been appropriately signed by all of the parties

Now that everything is over, the law firm that represented us on this case is asking whether we want to receive over 80 boxes of documents (representing more than 100 linear feet of documents) produced as part of the settled lawsuit; or they can arrange for the documents to be shredded.  Most of the documents appear to be directly litigation related (court papers, deposition transcripts, documents produced by the parties, etc.).

As I Understand it, normally there would be no need to keep them after the litigation has been resolved - I confess, I haven't been asked about this before. So, my inclination is to tell the law firm to shred. The questions to the group are, how would you handle this predicament?  Have you experienced this issue before and if so how was it handled? Are there any rules with respect to the safekeeping of documents that fit the above mentioned case?

Thanks for your time and trouble!

Vladimir