From:
sasha babin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:27:47 -0800
Hi Fred,

Thank you very much and for your comments especially, " Please note that, in France, the archivist function includes records management"

For me it was a cultural shock that here, in America, the archives and records management are separated discipline.
I'm from Russia and every time it was one discipline. From studies I know that the same is in Europe too.
I think it is clear that good archives could not be build from proper records management, and good records management program could not be build from knowing the final destination.
By the way, few years ago in one reprint from old English dictionary I found very interesting and logical explanation of word ARCHIVES, that completely the same as I was taught in Moscow University for Archival Studies, MGIAI,
ARCH' VE(S)  arch-have(s), where arch-stays for most important, have :-)), and "s", because usually it is not one letter only, but complex of records.
and another comment records  stays for re-cord, putting on cord, tied together due to their importance.
I don't know why, but somehow it was forgotten by computer's generation

Regards,

Alex Babin