From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:02:01 +1100
Folks - we are getting our wire(less) crossed a bit here. There are two
different types of barcode scanners. The first are the ones I was describing
earlier in the thread, where the scanner plugs directly into the hardware in
parallel with the keyboard (and I don't see why they couldn't be wireless or
bluetooth like my keyboard and mouse). But they have no intelligence or
memory, and are not programmable. No PC, no scanning. They interact directly
with your RM software, so errors and system prompts occur in real time as
you scan. This gives good feedback but can slow things down.

The second and much more expensive type are self contained and programmable.
You use them away from your pc (eg offsite, in the basement, out the back in
the compactus). You scan busily, the scanner stores all your transactions in
memory, and some time later you put the scanner into a cradle connected to a
pc, and download the batch of transactions. Only then do you learn of any
errors. Fast, but QA can be a problem, eg moving a file with a block or hold
on it.

We have both types (we are geographically decentralised). horses for
courses.

cheers, and apologies for the didacticism.

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Australia
0407 187 333
These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked and
they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and Glenn".
Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.