From:
Daniel Noonan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:38:57 -0500
Hi Matthew, et al:

There are a variety of other questions to be asked.  Why are you making
these digital surrogates? If you need high quality reproductions is a MFD
really the way to go? Or should you be using a dedicated scanner with
capture software, where you can control colorspace (CMYK, RGB, sRGB, etc.)?
Even then what you see rendered on a computer monitor is not necessarily
what the printer will reproduce.  Additionally, what format are you scanning
to-jpg, jpg2000, tiff, png, pdf? File format, compression, and resolution
(dpi) also have a lot of impact on the quality and nature of the resultant
digital surrogate. Hope this is of some help.

Daniel W. Noonan
Electronic Records Manager/Archivist
The Ohio State University Archives
305 Thompson Library