From:
Brian Tuemmler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:08:42 -0600
Laura,

We use tools like Kazeon, Digital Reef and StoredIQ to crawl through emails and shared drive content to find things like social security numbers and other PII. These tools use pattern matching (regular expressions) to find data.  Here are a few interesting gotchas:

- People will enter a credit card number into an email and send it when ordering something. If the emails then get auto-archived to a PST on a public network shared drive, that CC number will also.
- The IT department will sometimes use "sample" data when they are creating new corporate applications ("Fill out this form to arrange travel...")  The sample data will trigger these alarms even though it is not PII.
- Indonesian phone numbers match the same pattern as US social security numbers. (You probably won't have this problem)
- Companies spend large amounts of money on access badges, desk audits, security personnel and then all the important information leaves the building at the end of the day on laptops.

Hope that is a little helpful.

Brian Tuemmler
Gimmal Group
925-253-5689 (office)