From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:23:33 -0500
On Jan 20, 2010, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From: "Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: January 19, 2010 8:46:11 AM EST
> Subject: Re: Off-site storage fees
>

> Laurie Carpenter recommended "... you might want to do some research
> into things like, what is the average size of your boxes, not what
> you "think", but based on the statistics. What percentage of your
> boxes are below or above the standard box size?"
>
> This is an excellent idea, but not always feasible if you're storing
> records other than "sheets of [letter-size/legal-size] paper in a
> box".
>
> Records other than "sheets of paper in a box" could include not only
> odd-sized paper records (e.g., large-format drawings stored flat and
> ledger books), but also artifacts (objects) defined as records, such
> as architectural models and criminal evidence.
>
> What then?
>
> Fred

If the records manager or potential client provides an inventory of
what you are storing and requests that the vendors supplying the
response to the RFQ provide a price chart for each item, you will find
that they are usually reasonable.

If you negotiate the vendor down to really low prices and then show up
with unspecified items, then it is a different story.  You must audit
your records and see what you need to store then request pricing for
those categories.

For example, rolls of blueprints are difficult to store. Shelving is
not designed for it and it costs the offsite storage company
efficiency. Anything they cannot prepare causes them problems as they
want to do a good job for you so they need to plan for it.

After an exhaustive research study I have determined 5% of offsite
storage companies are not nice people, 60% of offsite storage
companies perform at a solid level, 20% are very good and 15% are just
excellent.  I then completed a study of Records Managers. My results
reveal 15% of records managers ended up there unwillingly and do not
approach the job with any professional level at all, 50% are doing the
best they can with limited budget and tremendous pressure, 25% are
really strong and constantly work to be better, 10% are superb and
have trained themselves to grasp every element of the career.

When we match that bad storage company with unwilling or poorly
trained records managers, we end up with a head line about records
mismanagement. If you are a great records manager, you can make any
vendor do what is required by your specs.  If not then choose wisely.

If you would like to buy a copy of this survey, let me know. ;~)

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM