From:
"Lori Nordland, Ms" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:03:19 -0500
Thanks for that one!  LOL.

My personal favourites are:

IT are de facto records managers for electronic records:
"But IT said I didn't need to keep the records."  This one pops up when staff receive the IT notice that server storage reaches maximum and IT states that the office needs to get rid of records to open up more storage space.

Scanned records are just as legal and valid as the paper originals:
"We've scanned so now we can destroy the originals."  I get this one when dealing with official records that are required by law to be kept in a paper format (signatures, academic degrees, etc.)

Two other responses from offices when explaining the definition of a record"
"We don't have any records because we don't create any."  This is particularly common in IT units.
"It isn't a record because it gets destroyed.  We don't keep this permanently."  A few offices believe that records that only those kept permanently or are transferred to the Archives.

Lori