From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:55:34 -0500
I recall when NARA's representatives told us that PERMANENT meant "for the
Life of The Republic"

I'm not sure I buy into the concept that in 300 years time there should be
an expectation that parts and pieces of the 'entire record' will no longer
exist, or that some records aren't important enough to ensure they DO REMAIN
persistently accessible.

How about records related to volume and location of transuranic waste, or
nuclear materials, or other horrendous substances yet to be created?
Wouldn't it be a good idea to find a means of protecting the finding aids,
records and other related materials on these types of things a bit longer
than that?

What about the Declaration of Independence? Bill of Rights? Constitution?
We're nearing 300 years on these... or how about the Magna Carta?  Should we
give up on it now?  I think we can still read and comprehend the meaning of
most of these still, even though we may have a problem adhering to their
content.

Larry

And on a side issue, I agree that "Primary and secondary school records are
useful records." but I disagree with the assertion "...these records should
be retained permanently."  They serve a purpose in society and for research,
but the value diminishes over time for all but a limited number of purposes.

As an example I think of "Vital Records" as defined in the Federal paradigm,
and even in other situations.  Many records are 'useful", or 'important',
and some may even consider them 'essential' to what they do, but I don't
think I'd go as far as saying they are VITAL... and even truly Vital Records
in many cases aren't retained Permanently.