From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:46:35 -0500
I strongly disagree with the separation of archives and records
management. Glenn's statement "For those of us who don't have anything
much to do with archives, historical significance has no bearing - once a
document ceases to have any business use (including compliance), it's
gone." is mistaken. Records Management grew out of Archives as a means of
handling high volumes of records efficiently. The two professions are
completely reliant on each other, like two sides of the same coin. Records
managers must be aware and knowledgeable of archival concerns to ensure
that the selected records eventually make it to the archives, and
archivists must be aware and knowledgeable of records management practices
to ensure that records of historical value are preserved.

Stephen Cohen, Records Manager
MetLife \ Legal Affairs
1095 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY  10036-6796