From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:01:57 -0800
The Leahy Award is independent of any organization. It is not sponsored by ARMA, SAA, or the ICRM. Unfortunately, the Leahy Award explicitly states that the award cannot be given posthumously. Undoubtedly there is a reason for that and I would suspect that there have been many qualified individuals who could have been considered in the past.

I'd also note that Alan was never recognized as a Fellow of ARMA International. The FAI designation has no prohibition on posthumous honors, but does require that the nominee prepare and submit his or her qualifying credentials. There is a fair amount of work involved there in accumulating the data, but I would expect that if the nominee's family were willing to participate, the nominators would be able to assist in preparing the application. I would suggest, however, that anyone thinking of submitting Alan for consideration for an award, speak to his family before submitting his name for consideration.

I'd further suggest that many of us can honor Alan's memory by committing ourselves to advancing our profession through education and service to the profession. And if we don't feel capable to serve as educators or leaders, that we follow Alan's example as a "friend, colleague, and mentor" to all in our profession.

Rest well, Alan, rest well.

 Patrick Cunningham, CRM, FAI

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier."
-- Colin Powell