From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:58:31 -0500
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:24:24 -0500, Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>How about establishing an award in his name? I have no idea how one goes
>about creating such an award, but if there's a will there's a way.

Steve-

This is something I've seen ARMA Chapters do, and it generally involves a
scholarship in the name of the individual being recognized, which provides
an educational benefit of some type.  It requires either the Chapter to set
aside specific funds to support the cost of the award or to request
donations be made a fund established to support the cost of awards into the
future.

Typically this is only available to members of the Chapter who establishes
the award and there have been some instances in the past where this type of
a fund can get a bit crosswise with the not-for-profit nature of a Chapter.
 And unfortunately, these are rather short lived.

I agree with earlier suggestions to look into the ARMA Distinguished Service
Award, or possibly look to the AIEF's Grants and Scholarships Program as an
alternative.

I think the greatest award will be for those of us who were fortunate enough
to be touched by Alan's kindness and knowledge to continue to pass along
what we were able to learn from him and to continue to raise his name in
conversation and keep his memory alive with those who are entering the
profession who never had the honor to meet him.

Larry