From:
Nancy Ur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:48:03 -0500
Thanks for the information, Peter.  Fully realizing the media on which a
record resides does not affect the retention of that record, my inquiry
was targeted at paper-based records to address noncompliance issues
associated with destruction of hard copy records in storage that have
exceeded their disposal dates.  I'll check out General Counsel Roundtable,
as you suggested. Thanks!

Nancy K. Ur
Corporate Records Manager
Chubb & Son, a division of Federal Insurance Company
General Counsel/WT01
15 Mountain View Road
Warren, NJ   07059
Phone: 908-903-3436
Fax:     908-903-3820

THIS E-MAIL (WHICH INCLUDES ANY ATTACHMENTS) IS INTENDED TO BE READ ONLY
BY THE PERSON(S) TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED.  THIS E-MAIL MAY CONTAIN
CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY INFORMATION AND MAY BE A CONFIDENTIAL
ATTORNEY-CLIENT COMMUNICATION, EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE
LAW.  IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, DO NOT PRINT IT, FORWARD
IT OR DISSEMINATE OR USE IT OR ITS CONTENTS.  IN SUCH EVENT, PLEASE NOTIFY
THE SENDER BY RETURN E-MAIL (OR BY PHONE AT THE NUMBER SHOWN ABOVE) AND
DELETE THE E-MAIL FILE IMMEDIATELY THEREAFTER.  THANK YOU FOR YOUR
COOPERATION.

Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
02/04/2010 11:36 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Risks of Keeping Records Past Assigned Retention Dates

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Nancy Ur <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks, Laura.  This is a great reference for electronic records being
> kept too long.  I should have been more specific, I'm looking for
> references relevant to  hard copy records being kept past their
retention
> dates.

a record is a record is a record no matter what the media. If an adverse
inference was applied to electronic records the same can be applied to
paper
records. There are numerous examples from the past where records were
discovered in other locations. I remember one case involving paper
manufacturers. The case was a price fixing investigation by the FTC. The
"smoking gun" was found in a retired administrative assistants garage
where
she had filed copies of various memos she had created over the years just
in
case.

Years ago Dupont did a study of the records retrieved for various legal
cases and found that over 50% of the records should have been destroyed.

if you have access you may want to see some of the reports created by the
General Counsel Roundtable
http://www.executiveboard.com/legalandcompliance/

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va

present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.