From:
Barrett Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 12:50:01 -0500
Stacey,

Greetings from Texas!

I have read your list serve post and would like to offer some suggestions
based on my experience handling these types of events.  I have done a few
of these "destruction" days and they have been promoted in a variety of
ways.  I'll spare you the details of the full blown add campaign...that one was
pricey.

The simplest/cheapest was just letting people know that a "Pitch and Purge"
day is in the future and simply branding it as a "Pitch and Purge."  If you wish
to take it up a notch, you can always get a box of Nestle Crunch bars from a
wholesale store and print some 2x4 labels promoting your event name, date,
and an email address/webpage for more details.  I threw a tag line on my label
that said "...helping you get ready for CRUNCH time!"  This could be done with
any of many varieties of candy bars...

"Here's 100 GRAND for your participation in Pitch and Purge!"

"Keeping expired records is nothing to SNICKER about!"

"TAKE 5 and destroy your expired records!"

Really the sky is the limit there.  Miniature candy bars also work well and help
shrink the expenses considerably....just adjust your label size accordingly.

The main thing is that you promote the Who What When and Where of your
event.  Asking each department head to send out a friendly email stating the
mandatory nature of this event also helps!

If you budget allows, you can up the ante a bit and promote contests that
revolve around this event.  You can give out awards to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
most records destroyed, the oldest record destroyed and so on.  A simple
bathroom scale and a bit of time can give you enough data to make this
determination.  The prizes can range from simple certificates to iTunes cards,
gift certificates, to really whatever your budget allows.

Feel free to contact me if you need anymore details or my creative powers!

Warmest regards and best of luck with your event!

-barrett