From:
Sonya Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2010 12:10:46 -0800
Brenda wrote:
"I had never heard of the International Records Management Trust, www.imrt.org . Has anyone ever worked with them or for them?..."

IRMT has been doing a lot of good work in Africa and the Caribbean for many years. I have several colleagues (based in USA, UK, Australian and the Caribbean) who are past or present staff of IRMT. This is particularly through my work at National Archives in UK, Oz and the Cayman Islands.

Barrett wrote:
"My guess would be no, there hasn't been much thought yet and probably
won't be until they finish counting the bodies..."

Actually, there's quite a lot of work being done and lots of postings to serveral lists. As a starting point, you can find FaceBook groups for Digital Library of the Caribbean and for Blue Shield with updates and calls for volunteers.

Another article below.
Drop me a line offlist if you'd like me to pass on any other details.

Regards
Sonya

Sonya Sherman
Senior Business Analyst (RM)
Ignition (Cayman) Ltd

http://tiny.cc/zOnXI

Archivist going back to Haiti to help save 'country's history'

Patrick Tardieu knows it's hard to think about the contents of buildings in Haiti when millions of people have been displaced and hundreds of thousands have died....

But for Tardieu and a group of librarians and historians in the Caribbean and abroad, it's not just homes and lives that have been lost. It could be the country's history....

Included in the archives are documents from the 13-year Haitian revolution from 1791-1804, which resulted in Haiti becoming the first Western nation ruled by people of African descent, and also the first to abolish slavery.
"This collection is the heart of the country, it's the spirit of the country," said Tardieu, ...

He said the sense of Haiti's history has been honed by years of "misunderstanding and ignorance" in the international community, characterized as a "seemingly endless series of political coups, disasters, conflict," while ignoring the moments of political stability and a rich cultural heritage.  Saving the archives will be crucial to rebuilding...

http://changingthepresent.org/

"As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world - that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves... Be the change that you want to see in the world." --Mohandas K. Gandhi