From:
Michael Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:41:40 -0600
ΔMikeΔ sent via Sprint Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2010 9:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Stellent and Windows 7 / IE8

>Hello!  I am trying to get some insight as to whether Stellent will run in
a Windows 7 / IE8 environment.  My current vendor says "it's not a good idea
to move to IE8" until we can put another solution in place.  Since I can't
prevent other schools/departments at my University from moving to Windows 7,
I need to determine if I should scrap Stellent and go out to bid for another
system.

>I searched Oracle's website and couldn't find any answers.  Then I searched
the ListServ archives and Google but so far no luck.

Sadly you WON'T find much assistance on the Oracle website for Stellent
issues except the suggestion that you should migrate to Oracle URM =)   Your
current vendor or other past Stellent employees that were not picked up by
Oracle who are likely working as consultants offering support to Stellent
users would be your best bet for assistance.  At the onset though, I would
be willing to agree with your vendor that Stellent will not function well in
IE8, as no support was written for the two products to work together.

My suggestion is if others are electing to move to W7 and subsequently IE8
and will by these actions be leaving the Stellent content in their wake,
that a plan be put in place for each of them to 'pony up' funds when they
make these changes to allow you to purchase sufficient licenses of URM to
allow them to retain access to their content, and to also inform them of the
annual support costs for their licenses, seeing as it it THEIR action that
is requiring this to happen.  Stellent would continue to function otherwise,
and depending upon your funding model for supporting IT investments, I would
think the various departments must have some responsibility for funding the
purchase and ongoing support for applications they use.

There are many who are migrating from Stellent to Oracle UCM or URM, it
isn't a perfectly seamless move... there are data anomalies that need to be
corrected prior to the move and you'll need to do a bit of normalization and
cleanup of file names, etc., but there are lots of others that may be in the
same boat... and I bet if you go to the Oracle you WILL FIND answers for this =)

Larry