From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:31:39 -0800
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Really these are two separate considerations which sometimes might be
> beneficial or necessary to have provided partially or completely from the
> same vendor.  If a company is using offsite storage for materials which they
> require to be shred, the workflow and throughput costs are sometimes better
> with the storage vendor.  However, your company should be comfortable with
> all the aspects of the relationship which are significant to your company
> and this may differ some but would include the terms of the contract such as
> pricing, destruction method, liability, statement of work, etc.  It can be
> convenient to use the same vendor, but that doesn't mean it's beneficial.
> The services should be evaluated separately and understand that the
> shredding/record destruction industry is still maturing their business and
> process model with regard to personally identifiable information and all the
> system and audit requirements which may be required by statute, regulation
> or implemented as best practice.  There are still some shred services who
> may store materials for long periods and in locations which could compromise
> the confidentiality of the records to be destroyed.  I always go onsite to a
> facility before I ever sign a contract with a company to tour the location,
> if possible read their work standards and see the operation in process.

Tom,

All good points.  You also need to consider whether the
storage/shredding vendor can support your operations in all of your
locations.  My company tried the approach of having the same vendor
for both but were not totally successful.  We have branches and
logistic support facilities in all 50 states (some of them isolated).
One single vendor could not support all of them.  I now manage 20 plus
shredding vendors - not the best situation but we had no choice since
most if not all of our records must be shredded.

--
Bruce White, CRM, PMP
Orange County, CA