From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:33:27 -0500
Thanks for thinking of me Peter.  As a former corporate records manager of an SRO (Self Regulatory Organization) that oversaw the industry, I was not involved in enforcing SEC Rules 17a-3 and 17a-4.  My concerns were in Rules 17a-1 and 17a-6, relating to the records of an SRO.  That being said, and the usual - I'm not a lawyer and records managers and RM consultants do not give legal advice I do have an opinion on this topic.

As Julie noted the e-mail blasts by a third party might be considered an advertisement, much like a TV or radio spot, or newspaper or magazine ad.  As was noted later by another, records relating to these should be retained under the normal schedule for advertising.  I will note that the SRO I worked for did examine broker/dealer advertising so there are applicable rules in that realm as well. Good idea to keep a copy of the addresses list.  As was further noted, once a reply is made (be it through redirected reply address or through an embedded link) to the actual broker/dealer, then the broker/dealer retention rules apply to those applicable communications.

Tod Chernikoff, CRM
http://twitter.com/tchernik