From:
Christine Figueroa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:56:20 -0800
Hi Nolene,

With this type of document, I find it best to analyze the purpose of the
document. Is it to create a comprehensive policies and procedures document
or is it to give users or your "public" the pieces related to their daily
work? If it is both, I have some suggestions below.

You may find that it is best to create one large policies and procedures
document (such as a manual) and then publish portions of it out to your
"public" as needed. For instance, you may have an intranet (if this is your
publishing venue) that gives a listing of policies with links to the
portions of your document that are relevant and offer guidelines as another
way for them to access information. I say this because, from my experience,
users are not interested in other departments policies and procedures but
are very interested in what is relevant to their work. For users that are
interested in reading the complete document, a .pdf version made available
to them will be of great use.

As for the ingredients, all of the items on your list are relevant. You may
consider including auditing functions (which may be under roles and
responsibilities) and related policies, procedures and directives (ESI,
transitioning employees, information security, destruction guidelines,
confidentiality policy, records access policy, Records Retention Policy
maintenance, and the like).

I am a big fan of keeping policies, procedures and directives separately (so
as to not need to update the entire document when something changes)
although some of our colleagues may disagree.

This is a huge endeavor and I wish you the best of luck.

Best regards,

--
Christine M. Figueroa, MLIS, CRM

714.402.9110