From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:32:48 -0700
Just got to thinking about what I put out there and realized I may have
further muddied the waters in a couple of places. So let me tackle it again.

Social networking need not be cloud-based. It could be provided by an
appliance or by software installed inside the firewall - Sharepoint does
this, SocialText Signals does this, and many other companies (including some
of the traditional ECRM vendors) do this. The key aspect of social
networking is the sociality of it and the ease of use.

Cloud computing, technically, also need not be cloud-based in this sense:
cloud refers more to the architecture than the actual physical location of
the computing resources. What that means is that while most definitions of
cloud computing focus on e.g. Google, Amazon AWS, and the like, you could
have a private cloud installed inside the firewall. It would use the cloud
architecture to provision storage and/or I/O (more likely the latter) as
needed.

In other words, there are several axes to use to evaluate these types of
solutions:

-          Onsite vs. offsite/hosted

-          Type of functionality provided

-          Focus on end-user vs. solution provider

-          Whether the solution is designed to be consumed by the public or
within the firewall

And there are probably others. I do stand by my point about the RM-specific
concerns, and because of this interest, this will probably be the topic for
my next blog post. Once it's done I will post here and to Twitter.

Respectfully submitted on behalf of myself and no other company,
organization, association, entity, or board of directors,

Jesse Wilkins, CRM, CDIA+, ecmm, emmm, ermm

(303) 574-0749 direct

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jessewilkins