From:
Stephanie Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2010 06:24:00 -0800
Hi Earl,
I understand why you would like to have a relationship with a person, but the reality is that you should have certain expectations of that vendor regardless of who is "running the show". As a Records Manager fulfilling their duties with their employer's best interest in mind, you must focus on those expectations and what the contract says how they must fulfill those expectations.

What I do is praise them when they do the job well and come down on them when they don't do the job right. My view is that I am their customer, therefore, should be served with good customer service whether they like me or not. Because it is not about me, but rather my employer's best interest.

With that in mind to answer your questions...
"...is your relationship with your vendor, or with the account manager?"

=> it is that of a vendor/customer relationship. They go out of their way to fulfill my special requests. In turn, I praise them, continue to do business with them and don't complain (too much) when they raise their rates.

"...if you have a really good relationship with an account manager at a particular vendor and he/she leaves for a competitor, would you also be inclined to leave too (assuming you could get out of your agreement) and follow him/her?"

=>It depends...Are they offering a special incentive for my employer's benefit? If yes, then yes I would follow assuming I can get out of the current contract. If no, then I would have to research when the contract expires or terminates.

 Sorry you are fusterated with your vendor's turnover. Good luck. I hope things look up for you soon. : )

Stephanie

"A sense of humor is part of the art of leadership, of getting along with people, of getting things done."
Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)