From:
Ken Fontana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:28:31 -0600
Larry, in speaking only for myself as a layman I'm still fairly confused
as to what the "Cloud" really is.

There's been a lot of discussion and editorializing now that security
concerns have begun creeping forward about the concept of setting up the
"Cloud" inside of the firewall or outside of the Internet.  Isn't that a
practice that has been followed for a Long time already?  Again, as a
layman, I am not a techy but I have managed a sizeable IT department in
my past and I recall that my IT guys were using a RAID array
(mirroring/duplexing) arrangement where our hard drives were twinned
internally with a nightly backup to tape, a weekly electronic backup
off-site, etc.

If setting up the "Cloud" internally is the same concept, and it sure
sounds to be, then why slap the term "Cloud" on it.  From all that I
have read, it seems the entire concept and embrace of the Cloud is that
it will release billions of dollars that are currently being dedicated
from IT budgets all over the world by reducing the need to additional
server space, infrastructure, etc.  Where is the benefit from slapping
the term Cloud onto an internal system that isn't genuinely a "Cloud"
under this understanding?  Hence my confusion.

Again, from the outside looking in so, please, be kind and with a grain
of salt and all that jazz.

Ken Fontana
The F.I.R.M