From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 09:47:56 -0500
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> And pinning the problem on the current
> president is inaccurate. It should be pinned on past and present
> presidents and members of Congress who developed all the governmental
> information gathering offices and programs.

had to reread it. saw only one reference to the current president.
"Cutting government waste and stimulating jobs involve "hard choices," if
President Obama is to be believed."

 I think the editorial clearly puts the blame at the feet of Congress (past
and present) with the closing
"Members of Congress are quick to legislate the reports and tax loopholes
that are responsible for creating the current paperwork mess, but the
reports never go away - even after they have lost their usefulness. Ditching
the useless forms would not just pay off in economic benefits, it would save
some forests as well. "

but why write the editorial in the first place?
"The Government Accountability Office last week took a closer look at the
reporting burdens that the Federal Communications Commission imposes on the
private companies it regulates. Excluding consumer complaint forms, the FCC
used 385 collection instruments that required an estimated 18,236,785 hours
to complete. That's the equivalent of dedicating 9,118 full-time workers to
serving the information needs of one comparably tiny government agency. "

and how does that affect our profession? well aren't we the ones that are
tasked with trying to determine the retention for those 'instruments'?

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va