From:
Sonya Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 07:03:31 -0800
--- On Tue, 9/3/10, Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

and how does that affect our profession? well aren't we the ones that are
tasked with trying to determine the retention for those 'instruments'?

Absolutely, Peter - and not only retention. Our job is not just to make rules for records that already exist.

Records management involves analysis to determine whether records should be created. Most often we are looking for gaps, where there is a legal or business requirement to create and keep a particular type of record - but the organisation is not currently doing so.

This article highlights the need also to continuously review records *creation* practices, to determine whether there is an ongoing need for a particular type of record.

If the requirement no longer exists, the series should be discontinued.
The first steps in the battle to deal with over-retention are to reduce duplication, and stop creating records that serve no business or legal purpose.

Obviously, if the government requires companies to submit forms there is an ongoing legal need for companies to create records. As the article suggests, perhaps it is time for agencies to review their business needs for the data.

Great article, thanks!

regards
Sonya

Sonya Sherman