From:
Ken Fontana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:11:30 -0600
I posted this to another ListServ I belong to and thought I'd share the
following breach report here.  It's from HHS and the Office of Civil
Rights under the HITECH requirements.  Note the number of paper records
and the fact that these are only the breaches effecting more than 500
individuals and from September 15, 2009 thru February 15, 2010 and are
only breaches involving PHI.  48 over a 5 month period.  Imagine the
number of breaches involving less than 500 individuals and or
non-publicized breached records pertaining to SOX, GLBA, FACTA,
Proprietary business practices, Intellectual Rights, R&D Records.........

As these continue to reach publicity and the public learns more and more
about their rights it's easy to speculate liabilities and the $$$
associated are going to skyrocket.  Collectively, this group reports
breach of 1,108,000 individual records.  At an estimated cost per
individual per breach of $202 there's a whole lot of financial pain to
be had.

  Breaches Affecting 500 or More Individuals

As required by section 13402(e)(4) of the HITECH Act, the Secretary must
post a list of breaches of unsecured protected health information
affecting 500 or more individuals.  The following breaches have been
reported to the Secretary:
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/breachnotificationrule/postedbreaches.html

The list is worth checking out.  The variety of types of breaches
involved and the parties involved is pretty enlightening but not as much
as the fact that the government made good and plans to continue to
publish lists of entities who have allowed a breach of Protected Health
Information under HITECH.

Any questions, feel free to hit me off-list at [log in to unmask]

Ken