From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:40:37 -0700
You may recall that I was knee-deep in writing an RFP for an ECM pilot
project. Well, IT stepped in and insisted that we wait until they were
ready to move because they don't have the resources to support even an
initial pilot right now. So the legal department raised a fuss and
said they needed SOMETHING yesterday even if it was a temporary fix.

One thing led to another and we are again looking a using SharePoint,
except this time it's SharePoint 2010. We are a beta-test site for
2010 and Microsoft would absolutely LOVE it if we adopted it as our
only ECM -- a company as big as us would be a huge feather in their
hat. I spoke with our Microsoft person and our IT folks and expressed
reservations based on what I knew about 2007's Records Center and was
told that 2010 fixed a lot of the shortcomings of 2007.

I've read up on it some and 2010 looks promising, but our IT people do
not want to spend the time going down this path if in the long run it
won't do, so we'll be looking at it with a very critical eye. We're
having a demonstration in a couple of weeks and I wanted to go in
armed with some very pointed questions.  I've already asked that they
specifically show how they handle entering and tracking paper records
(yea, I know Steve -- welcome back, by the way -- but paper ain't
going away soon), how the search  interface would find both paper and
electronic records and a few other specific items our legal department
wanted.

Has anyone else had an opportunity to play with it or read any good
reviews, articles or white papers? I just got the Hot Topic for March,
so I'm looking for other ones. For people who actually tried to set up
the Record Center in 2007 or are still using it, what do you feel
really needs to be fixed?

Nolene Sherman
Orange County, CA

Tracking where records are kept is what Tiggers and Records Managers
do best!