From:
"Nemchek, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:45:37 -0700
Earl:  Your timeline and mine are very similar.  I started at my company one month ahead of you (September 2007), so I'm also in the third year of building our program from scratch.  I don't really know how long it will ultimately take us to attain implementation of all of our project elements, but in talking about our program, I usually say that I'm in the 3rd year of a three to five year Phase I project, with Phase I including project planning, program and policy development, retention schedule development and implementation, forms and reports management, intranet portal management, and company-wide electronic records management restructuring.  Subsequent phases may take 3-5 additional years, and these phases may include elements such as vital records management, disaster preparedness and business continuity planning, knowledge management, corporate archive development and management, litigation support, and related RIM areas. That's another element that determines project duration:  at any particular company, what functions fall under the RIM umbrella?  The more functions there are to develop from scratch and manage, the longer the project will take to reach completion.

-Lee

Lee R. Nemchek, MLS, CRM
Vice President, Records Management
Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.