From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:47:16 -0500
I would add to the comments of Lee, Earl and Dick the following.

Besides the variables in resources (in house or consultant) that will be involved in the project, the size of the organization, # of locations, scope of the information to be gathered and included in the project, etc., time for writing an RFP, getting approvals, getting buy-in, etc., one must also consider the time of the internal resources (subject matter experts) who will be continuing to do their day jobs and meeting internal deadlines (bottom line!!) at the same time you may be asking for their time for interviews, reviews, and approval of policies, schedules, etc.

Thus, the # of variables involved makes any standard timeline impossible to predict.  One thing I will say is that it will usually take longer than you originally think, despite your best project management efforts.

Mary Hilliard, CRM