From:
Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:07:44 -0700
At American Honda Motor Co., Inc
1.  The cleaning service empties the waste cans nightly.  Only
non-recyclable paper, paper contaminated by food or like tissues, food and
other non-recyclable materials go in the waste cans.  There is a list on
the Records Management internal website and reminders go out by e-mail and
in stories on the HondaWeb at least yearly.  We also remind people
face-to-face at our booth on Earth Day.
Recyclables are picked up either nightly or every other night, sorted and
disposed of in such a way that we have won waste-reduction awards as well
as financed the recycling program.

2.  Does your organization have directions about what types of paper go
into your wastepaper can vs. what should be taken to a shredder instead?
Yes, in addition to listing what can be recycled, we and the Compliance
Department remind associates to shred any record containing personal
identity information, or anything confidential or proprietary.  Shredders
are located in core areas, or an associate can call Records Management for
larger jobs, either unsupervised or shredded.  Documentation is required
attesting that the retention schedule is being followed.

Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre
Records Management Analyst, Senior
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Torrance, California, USA
Member - The Orange County Chapter of ARMA International
<Check out Orange County California ARMA's website at ocarma.org
Larry Medina - "RM makes the rules; IT provides the tools".