From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:07:09 -0400
Recently, I've been asked to provide recommendations on storing records
maintained by current and departed employees on portable media. When I
asked what type of portable media he'd be using, he said CDs and DVDs.
After presenting him with reasons why not to use regular optical disks, he
asked that I recommend not only storage but also portable media. My
question to group is threefold:
Which portable media do you think are reliable and durable enough to last
up to 15 years? (From my research, gold disks and portable hard drives
seem the best options?)
What ESI formats are best (native format vs. PDF/A?)
If the records are part of a legal hold, shouldn't the transfer process be
a built in part of the legal hold and the  associate departure process?

Stephen Cohen, Records Manager
MetLife \ Legal Affairs
1095 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY  10036-6796
212-578-2373

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.