From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:00:56 -0600
I agree with every one of Glenn's points with regards to media types. That
said, I think it highly unlikely that a computer some 100 years hence (or
perhaps as little as 10-20 years) will be able to use the USB X.0, IDE,
SATA, or any of the other data transmission protocols. I also doubt that
they'll be able to make any sense of the data structures in the media
storage system (NFS, CDFS, etc.). And whether you choose PDF/A (ISO 19005),
PDF (ISO 32000), ODF (ISO 26300) or Microsoft Word 2003, I doubt very much
you'll be able to read any file format in 100+ years. The singular exception
to that right now is XML, for this reason: at the end of the day you can
always print the XML stream to paper or film.

Every month another story comes out about media that will last for a
bazillion jillion years. I say, "So what?" Nobody will be able to read the
data structures or the documents on the media in far less time than that. If
you want digital records to last for an extended period of time, in my
opinion there is only one way to get there: migration. It's expensive,
labor-intensive, error-prone, and just a pain all the way around. But all
the work in creating universal emulators notwithstanding, we ain't there yet
and I'm not sure whether we'll ever get there.

Now, the original question was for just 15 years. Within that time frame I'm
OK with proprietary if it's well-documented because in converting e.g. .msg
or .xls to .pdfa you lose significant functionality, just as you would in
printing. On the other hand, if the document in question doesn't have active
content like .xls, databases, etc., PDF/A is a fine format. So are the
others I listed above that are ISO standards. And even TIFF and JPG are
reasonable choices for page-oriented documents and pictures. In terms of
media formats, gold CDs/DVDs are appropriate for now because the Blu-Ray
players are backwards-compatible. But this will need to be monitored
closely. I wouldn't use any kind of hard disk because the risk of
catastrophic failure is almost certain over that period. A USB drive would
also be suitable as long as it was unencumbered with odd data structures or
encryption.

Kind regards,

Jesse Wilkins, CRM
(303) 574-0749 direct