From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:11:34 -0400
Thanks for the responses. While I know this topic's been discussed before,
i just needed the piece of mind that the research I had done matched to
what my fellow records experts know. Your recommendations, advice and
questions for further consideration have all gone in to my recommendation.

The answer to Larry's "WHY" is that records would be under a legal hold.
While most holds are in force for up to 5 years, there are others where
the hold goes on and on. In presenting recommendations to colleagues, I
emphasize the need to test a sampling every 2-3 years and to expect
periodic migrations for those under the lengthier holds. While unlikely
that a hold will last 15 years, I wanted to give a long enough time span
to the attorneys so that they understand the implications when it does
happen. Like most everyone else, attorneys believe the press that CDs last
for centuries and are as rugged and durable as I-beams, and this needs to
be dispelled.

As for retaining records post-departure, what seems to be the situation is
that in more than a few situations, someone left on the heels of a legal
hold with IT wiping the drive and personal space a tad too soon. This is
another issue of communicating holds more expediently which I am also
working on.

Thanks again,

Stephen Cohen, Records Manager
MetLife \ Legal Affairs
1095 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY  10036-6796
212-578-2373

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.