From:
"A.S.E. Fairfax" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2010 11:07:40 -0700
You need to do a complete inventory if you are to know what
classifications you will need.

 Then,in general, you can begin subdividing by function.  There are 4
major classifications of records in any organization:

A)  "housekeeping" records --that is administrative records common to
any office.  For example, correspondence, copies of vouchers for payment
of invoices, training flyers, etc., subject or issue files that may
include non-record documents compiled for convenience from other
departments, original documents for this department, etc.

B) Mission specific records--those that the office uses to perform their
area of responsibility to the organization as a whole. These records
will be different for each office. For example, the accounting office or
division will have mission-specific responsibility for accounting
functions, but (generally) not meter-reading, although the meter reading
might be sent forward to them.  The annual report might be their
responsibility even though it accepts and compiles individual data from
each department.

C)Rights and Interest Files--Those records that document the
organization's rights, interests and obligations.  These might be
concentrated in one department, say accounting, or be shared between
many offices, legal, Board of Commissioners, and so on.
Among these records will be a charter and by-laws, original contracts,
legal decisions, court orders, land or capital asset ownership
documents, and so on.

D) Reference files--These are generally compilations of non-record
material, that may none the less ultimately have archival value.They may
be subject files put together for reference, policy of other
institutions and organizations, etc.

A.S.Elizabeth Fairfax, MA, CA
Island County Records and Information Management Program
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
x5569