From:
sasha babin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:16:41 -0700
Hi Anne,

First of all, it's a pity, but it is a reality.
Of course, digitization makes documents "more" acceptable, means searchable, in case metadata, formerly keywords :-), is correct.
Second, and it is my opinion
The question is who will take care over the digital records?
who will check that all information is saved?
Regarding retention periods: - Before, when medical records were saved in paper format, very often the doctors were the first line who did not allow to destroy documents that were eligible for - documents were in need for all their researches.
Now, when doctors don't see the patient from behind the laptop, and are looking for similar cases, they relay on results of tests and what they could find on-line.

The same medical records that are scanned very soon become part of doctors' laptops, and the doctor will not care avbout the "original" that are into "yours" system.
It means, that you will need to keep all this electronic medical records according to their retention periods and coordinate the work with IT to migrate and to ensure the integrity.  It is possible, that as Medical archivist, you will start to create different finding aids for that electronic records according to requests.
I think that it is also might be interesting.
And again, you will come across the same situation like with paper.
You will submit destruction form, but people will ask you to save it longer, because...
You will "argue" with IT that the documents are needed for business needs, IT will say that it does not have enough memory, formerly storage space,  and you will protect those electronic records with probably help from the same doctors.

Again, your question gives me some "food" for thoughts and finally I read something new.
http://www.ccmg-ccgm.org/pdf/ccmg_clinical_records.pdf

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:h_J5I_2YopQJ:www.hartelaw.com/artl_records.htm+hospital+and+retention+of+medical+records+and+patients&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:sCEm2dqQKIwJ:www.ottawahospital.on.ca/patient/services/health-records-e.asp+ontario+and+hospital+and+retention+of+medical+records+and+patients&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Interesting article about Canadian Hospital in History and ~ r c h 6 e s
journals.sfu.ca/archivar/index.php/archivaria/article/download/.../12173

Okey, I should stop, to much information, but
you can continue
"ontario and hospital and retention of medical records and patients"

Regards,

Alex Babin