From:
Paula Yankee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:21:06 -0500
Dear List professionals near & far:  Has anyone been through the
experience we are approaching?  We've been Novell/GroupWise for ~25 yrs.
 Capital Plan now approved, has set in motion the migration from Novell
to Microsoft & GroupWise to Outlook.

As we plan, goal is to provide guidance and preserve what is required
according to policy and retention requirements and remove the
unnecessary e.g., copies, non-business items, etc.

We have approved, current policies & retention schedules.  Can you
provide suggestions for our folks who need clear guidance on how to:

1.  Save what they need to save from GW to Outlook or GW Archives and
their Novell Network drive as all Novell and GroupWise everything will
be going away.

2.  Questions and anxiety to answer and dispel:
a.  Will anything be lost?  What can be done to prevent loss?
b.  Will older or any dates be changed?  What can be done to retain
date stamps?
c.   How can required emails be converted to other than paper &
continue to be easily accessible in similar manner in Microsoft as they
were in Novell/GW e.g.,date, subject, sender, receiver?
d.  Will chronology of sent items be saved? What can be done to ensure
time stamps?
e.  Will GW folders be saved?  For what length of time? Suggestions?
f.   Will GW calendars be saved?  For what length of time?
Suggestions?

E.g.,:  GW system clock generally dispositions email after 90 days,
however, a few have periods beyond 90 days.  Will emails beyond 90 days
convert to new system?  What option do users have other than printing if
retention is required? Can saving emails be done in batch mode?

g.  Will Archived emails migrate seamlessly?
h.  Will file server files migrate seamlessly?  If they do not, what
options do users have?

With thousands of employees, some worse case, migration will be a
challenge, we want to help  folks know approx. how long they need to set
aside time to actually save required records.  Is there a standard
save/migrate time period per record or per/user or per/ x variable?

Has anyone been through this process and have a step-by-step guide for
individual users?

Most humbly grateful,
Paula

Paula Yankee
Anoka County
Finance and Central Services Division
Project and Compliance Manager
2100 3rd Avenue
Anoka, MN  55303-2265
Phone: (763) 422-7515

EMAIL: [log in to unmask]

NOTICE: Unless restricted by law, email correspondence to and from Anoka
County government offices may be public data subject to the Minnesota
Data Practices Act and/or may be disclosed to third parties.